Build Bulk by increasing Lean Muscle Mass
Build bulk by completing 6-12 repetitions with 60-80% of your one-rep maximum weight using the exercises listed here.
Main muscles activated: Pectoral muscles, triceps, anterior deltoids.
- Lay on a bench with your shoulders blades pinched together and feet wither flat on the ground or on the bench.
- Buttocks should always be in contact with the bench.
- Grip the bar equidistant from the centre, elbows 90 degrees to the chest.
- Lift bar and lower towards the chest, stopping when the rear of the arms are parallel to the ground, to reduce the risk of injury.
- Push the weight up until arms are straight.
Record: Ryan Kennelly, from Washington, assisted-bench pressed a World Record of 487.6 kg on 8 November 2008 at the Pride Strength Wars in Kennewick, Washington.
Barbell Stiff-legged Deadlift
Main muscles activated: Gluteus, hamstrings, quadriceps.
A core powerlifting exercise, when completed with almost-straight legs as opposed to bent knees, places more emphasis on the gluteus muscles. The hamstrings are recruited to help lift more weight.
- Use a barbell or dumbbells.
- With legs hip-width apart, keep your back straight, shoulders back, and head up.
- Brace your core and bend at the hips without rounding your back.
- When you feel a stretch in your glutes or hamstrings, stop and stand up again.
Record: Andy Bolton, from UK, set a World Record of 455kg on 4 November 2006 at the World Powerlifting Organisation's Semi-finals in New York.